HTA Licence 22520
Procurement of Tissues and Cells for Human Application
ISO 9001-2008 for Procurement, Distribution, Import/Export of Tissues and Cells for Human Application.
0800 11 CELLS (23557)
|Our Procedures for Your Safety|
Procurement of Cord/Cord Blood
• On receipt of your signed consent form, we will send you our CryoCord or CryoCord+ collection kit, depending on your consented option. The package also includes maternal blood collection kit as well as clear concise instructions to follow at every step.
• The collection of umbilical cord/cord blood will be performed at the hospital, birth unit or at home (in case of home birth) by the authorised healthcare professional in compliance with the relevant HTA Directions.
• We would assist the parents for booking a qualified/authorised phlebotomist for collection of umbilical cord blood, umbilical cord tissue and maternal blood (at an additional cost), as well as ensuring that we have a third party agreement with the hospital/obstetrics consultant, in case of a private patient.
• After the birth, cord/cord blood sample will be picked up by our certified international courier service (DHL) for delivering to the designated Cryo-Save labs; where the sample will be processed, tested and eventually stored for the initial period of 25 years.
Processing, Testing, Cryopreservation and Storage of Cord/Cord Blood Stem Cells
• Stem cells are prepared for preservation after determining their quantity and quality using state of the art technology at our labs. The quality and quantity and Cellularity Verification is ensured through the following tests performed on the maternal blood and umbilical cord blood sample received in the lab:
1. Medical Tests include; Maternal Serology and PCR Analysis of Cord Blood.
2. Lab Tests include; Mononuclear Cells (MNC) count (x 10 exp 8), Amount of CD 34+ Cells; Vitality (%) and Bacteriology.
• For the purposes of security and to assure that your baby's stem cells are assigned individually, they will be identified using separate unique barcodes.
• The additional security of cells is ensured by operating the dual storage system. The stem cells are divided into two containers and preserved at below -180°C in the vapour phase of liquid nitrogen in two seperate purpose built, underground storage rooms.
• We store stem cells and not the whole blood, using the automated Sepax system from the Swiss company Biosafe for separation of stem cells from umbilical cord blood. This benefits the vitality of stem cells and prevents toxicity during storage.
• We store umbilical cord blood stem cells in bags with an extra bag at the top to take a small stem cells sample for pre-transplant testing of the sample without having to unfreeze the main sample; this gives our clients a total of four parts of stem cells sample. The bag kit is sterile, functionally closed and single use.
• We also facilitate cryo-preservation of umbilical cord tissues in addition to the umbilical cord blood stem cells. The umbilical cord is rich in Mesenchymal Stem Cells that have the unique ability to help a damaged organ to regenerate, and are often found in the damaged tissue.
• Should umbilical cord blood sample not correspond to the minimum requirement, we will leave it up to the parents to decide not to freeze the sample to avoid any additional cost. this means that we do not charge processing and storage fee for a failed sample and we store borderline samples at company expense until sample is made usable in the future.
• We also facilitate cryo-preservation of umbilical cord in addition to the umbilical cord blood stem cells. The umbilical cord is rich in Mesenchymal Stem Cells that have the unique ability to help a damaged organ to regenerate, and are often found in the damaged tissues.
• You will receive the storage certificate for a successful sample approximately six weeks following the birth and the preserved stem cells can be made available as and when required for the transplant.
• We will store your baby's stem cells for 25 years. After that time, your child may decide himself whether to continue or terminate the storage.