The cure of many life-threatening diseases is dependent on the transplant of stem cells, of which there are only few sources:
• Embryonic Stem Cells. Embryos are the richest source of stem cells, but are associated with many ethical and legal issues. Therefore, we have never involved ourselves with the embryonic stem cells.
• Adult Stem Cells. These are also called bone marrow and peripheral blood stem cells. It involves invasive and painful collection procedure besides aging problems. In case of donor one has to encounter the difficult matching process and risk of rejection.
• Umbilical Cord Stem Cells. The umbilical cord and cord blood are the rich and viable sources of stem cells and can be easily collected within a few minutes after the birth, without affecting the natural sequence of birth. The procedure is safe and without any risk to the mother and the baby.
The umbilical cord/cord blood stem cells have some inherent important advantages over the adult stem cells and these are:
• They are young; being only a maximum of 9 months old, and have not suffered the aging process, often divide quicker and are more viable as compared to bone marrow and other adult stem cells.
• They are fresher; protected by mother's womb from many of the viruses and infections present in the open world, they are less likely to be contaminated or affected by diseases.
• They are more naïve; they are less likely to cause complications in allogeneic transplants than adult stem cells.
For nine months the umbilical cord plays a vital role in the care of your baby's health and well-being. With Cells Limited you can extend this care for a lifetime by storing umbilical cord as well as umbilical cord blood stem cells thus giving your offspring the best start in life and the peace of mind for the future.