Stem cells are the building blocks of all human cells and can form part of our biological existence from muscles, bones, nerves, blood system and organs. They have an amazing ability to create different kinds of tissues when they divide and develop. This power to produce different kind of specialised cells makes them unique for medical therapy. The salient features are as follows:
- Stem cells can develop into many of your body's tissues.
- Stem cells can be used to regenerate damaged tissues.
- Stem cells have already been used to treat many diseases including leukaemia, type-1 diabetes, metabolic disorder and immune system disorders.
- Scientists from Cryo-Save have turned stem cells from umbilical cord blood into many tissues including liver, pancreas, nerve tissues, bone, cartilage etc.
- We expect the future of cell therapies to increase rapidly.
- You have a one in four chance that your stem cells will also be a match for your siblings.